A managed website for a small or medium sized business will cost about $1,000 up-front and then about $1,000 per year. The cost breakdown is below, as well as other less expensive options.
This information was updated April 2, 2019.
If you’re interested, contact me here and I can set this up for you in about 24 hours.
The hosting and the name: $240 / year
The hosting: The “host” of your website is the place where the actual files that make up your website are stored (hosted). The same company that hosts your website files can also register your domain name. Hosting can be provided by companies like SiteGround, GoDaddy and DreamHost.
The name: The name of your website is your “domain name”. My domain name is “FreelanceWebsiteManager.com”. A domain name must be registered and managed by a hosting company (the cost of the domain name is usually included in the cost of hosting).
- Expect to pay about $240 per year for a “shared hosting” plan, up to $400-$600 per year for a more robust hosting plan.
- A shared hosting plan ($240 per year) should be enough for a personal or small business website.
Use this tool to see if the domain name you want is available. Enter the name with “.com” , “.ca”…etc.
The website: $75 + $750
The website itself: There are several options when it comes to designing and building your website, I recommend using the WordPress content management system.
- Customizing an existing WordPress website template (called a “theme”) is the most cost-effective way to build a website.
- A WordPress theme will cost about $75 (one-time cost).
- Customizing the theme could cost anywhere from $750 to $7,500 depending on the complexity of the site. A simple site like this, with no e-commerce would be about $750.
The management: $60 / month
The management: Now that your website is up and running, someone needs to watch over the site and keep it up-to-date, backed-up and safe.
- To keep your site secure, your website manager will regularly update the CMS, the template (theme), the plugins and also take care of any updates to your website content.
- This type of freelance website management can cost as little as $60 per month.
How much does a website cost?
The cost: Approximately $1,065 up-front (hosting $240 + website $75 + $750) and $960 per year ($240 + $60/mnth).
Here’s another option that might be good for you (good for small businesses and individuals), check out my website Starter Package, it includes hosting, domain name and basic website for $500 up-front and $240 / year (details here).